How to make your window Full Screen in gnome?

I have often had this problem of getting quite seriously distracted while coding and I always like to use as much screen real state to work on but then again, there are other applications that need it too and it can be a lot of distraction with gmail messages popping up and all sorts of nasty stuff happening. One option is to just go into some other desktop manager but I kind of like solving the problems at hand and gnome does provide me with some really good features that I've become used to.

I started wondering if I could make eclipse full screen so that I can just focus on the code and hopefully nothing else.


Then I came across this useful link http://www.enigmacurry.com/2007/02/17/gnome-kiosk-mode-make-any-app-fullscreen supposed to be a rant about the feature gnome lacked but updated to add this instruction.
There is a nice feature that lets users set keybindings.


Here are the steps:


1. Open gconf-editor using the trusty old Alt-F2 combination



Now go to /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/toggle_fullscreen and set the Key Binding


Also, if you're using Beryl instead of metacity, this option is reasonably easy to find in the beryl settings manager: "General Options"->"Shortcuts"->"General Options"->"Bindings"->"Toggle Window Fullscreen"


As you can see, I have set it to F11.


There is a somewhat easier way to do this too using the System>Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts tool


Find the Toggle Fullscreen mode and set the key. As easy as that. I generally prefer the gconf-editor mode because it gives more control to whatever I type. I have unwittingly changed some shortcuts from the Keyboard Shortcuts tool couple of times already to know better now :).


So, finally my eclipse screen is full.. and hopefully without distractions :P




Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice hack yar! :-) I am working fullscreen now.
cool hack dude.. fullscreen actually avoids distraction..
Anonymous said…
thanks :)
Unknown said…
Really nice, I've been searching for this trick for seriously months.
Andrew King said…
Wow, thanks! I got a big smile on my face as soon as all the taskbars disappeared! Everything's so nice and clean.
Anonymous said…
Excellent, thank you!
Anonymous said…
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! Seriously good, I love having two panels, except when coding. This is the perfect solution. Off coding now!
DaVince said…
Yeah, it's not working with Compiz. No option change in the Compiz sections seems to help, either. Little help?
Anonymous said…
I ADAMS KEVIN, a representative of Aiico Insurance plc, we trust and respect for individual differences in day out a loan. We will provide 2% of the loan's interest rate. If you are interested in this business contact us by e-mail (adams.credi@gmail.com) now transfer their loan documents issued properly. Do you need a loan to set up business or school if you are very welcom to aiico insurance plc.you can also contact us by email(aiicco_insuranceplc@yahoo.com) we first week can request a balance transfer.

व्यक्तिगत व्यवसायका लागि ऋण चाहिन्छ? तपाईं आफ्नो इमेल संपर्क भने उपरोक्त तुरुन्तै आफ्नो ऋण स्थानान्तरण प्रक्रिया गर्न
ठीक।

Popular posts from this blog

Old Photos

A simple mjpeg streamer for python